Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Good News

Well. Looks like I'm going back to school.

Some of you know all about my latest existential crisis. Some of you don't. If you don't, too bad. I'm not going revisit it.

I contacted my old school about resuming classes in the Fall. I assumed I would have to reapply to go back, seeing as I didn't 'mark my spot' when I left. (Such a crude way to put it.) But according to the head of the program to which I was accepted and the head of Graduate Admissions, my acceptance is still valid and there is a spot waiting for me should I resume in the Fall. (And I didn't even have to mark it!)

I'd really like to say something profound about taking advice from strangers, especially about something so important as that of a career path. *thinks hard* Nope, nothing profound to say. I'd say it's all a rather capricious business, but it's been something I've been regretting for a year (leaving school, that is), so I guess it isn't. I guess all I needed was a nudge.

I don't know if this is the "right" decision. There's every reason in the world not to do it. Yet I still want it, and with only 10 people accepted into the program a year, I've already beaten some odds. I know now I've put it off long enough.

Thanks again, all, for the kind words and gentle nudges. Special shout out to Robin S., who saw through the bullshit and said, "Now is now." (That's going to become my new motto.) Also to Fairyhedgehog, a fellow hearing aid wearer (we should share some war stories!). And Whilochre, who made me laugh. And last but not least, Kiersten, who said, "Cheer up. We don't even know you and like you already."

Cripes, I sound like I'm at the Oscars already.

Now I just have to make sure I follow the advice of the illustrious Muddy Waters. "Don't make no check with your mouth your tail can't cash."

Also. May have a job. We shall see.

EDIT: I see this whole 'enough about me' business lasted about a half an hour. Seems that I will fit in well in L.A.*

*a move that comes at the end of the two-year program

11 comments:

Kiersten White said...

Yay! Congratulations! How exciting and terrifying and wonderful all at the same time.

I'm proud of you. Deciding to move forward is always scary, because you don't know what you're moving toward. Good for you for taking the plunge.

Whirlochre said...

Congratulations!

Unruttulations!

Robin S. said...

I'm beyond happy to hear this news!
Seriously happy, girl.

And hey - we're not strangers. I know you guys better than some people I've worked with for quite a while.

So pick out a restaurant.

And - do you move to LA for the school?

Kiersten White said...

It's true, Robin. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods (either of you) I'm totally taking you out to lunch.

And if you're ever in San Diego (and I have a car...and a babysitter) same thing.

Stacy said...

Thanks, Kiersten and Whirlochre! (I've been spelling Whirl's name wrong. Oops - sorry!)

And thanks, Robin. You're right. We're not strangers. Most of the program will be done here in Chicago. In the last semester I'll move to L.A. for the internship. Which means I'll be looking Kiersten up and stalking Nathan Bransford. ; )

I'm thinking about a restaurant. What kind of food do you like?

Got a job, too. I'm not sure how long it's going to last (could be as short as as day), but hey - anything helps.

*hums cheesy songs with lyrics like "I can see clearly now the rain is gone" and "ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride"*

Stacy said...

Damn it. I just saw a typo. "short as a day"

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm so pleased for you. Go, freddie!

Stacy said...

Thanks, fairyhedgehog!

Robin S. said...

I like Italian, Thai, and Spanish.
I like American Bistro types of places.

Don't eat much meat at all. Don't like sushi.

Can we work with that, girl?

Stacy said...

Yep, plenty of Italian, Thai, and Spanish places.

I know of a really good Italian place, Trattoria No. 10, downtown. Terrific ravioli dish.

Robin S. said...

Sounds good to me.

And forgot to mention, I love curries. But Italian - mmm mmm good.