Thursday, June 19, 2008

Online Acronyms

I probably have ADHD, or am perhaps a slow learner, but there are some acronyms online I have a little trouble figuring out.

I know LOL means Laugh Out Loud, and WTF means . . . well, you know. OMG - yeah, know that one.

But ROFL? Not sure. ZOMG? I don't know what the "Z" means. Is that supposed represent the sound where you're exhale-snorting through your nose, like when you're trying to hold back a laugh and can't?

There are some others, but I can't think of them right now. Perhaps I will start a collection and post when I have a sizeable list.

5 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

ROLF is "rolling on floor laughing" and the Z in zomg is like an intensified version of omg, coming from ppl mistyping it when they try to capitalize OMG. If you notice, the z key is next to the shift key, hence the common mistyping and evolution.

Robin S. said...

Don't feel bad, Freddie. I didn't know either until someone told me.

I'm never up on stuff. Ever.

Bad Author said...

Hi Freddie, thanks for visiting my blog. Yeah, acronyms can be confusing, but hey- wysiwyg.

fairyhedgehog said...

ROFLMAO is rolling on the floor laughing my arse off. (Or ass, if you're American.)

I know heaps of them, many including the ubiquitous F. Such as RTFM which means Read The Flaming Manual. Or something fairly close to that, anyway.

The reason I know all this is that I have two sons in their early twenties. I surprised my younger son last night by referring to Ceiling Cat, which is part of the LOLcat universe. (If you google Ceiling Cat you get pictures.)

I think I've been permanently corrupted.

Stacy said...

There are just some acronyms I can't figure out by the context of the sentence. Thanks for pitching in, Natalie!

I don't feel bad, exactly, Robin. Just . . . not 'with' it. I just wanna be hip! ; )

Thanks, for stopping by, Arlyle. I kind of miss the Wolfe in your name!

Okay, Fairyhedgehog, you asked for it. From now on I'm asking you when I can't figure out an acronym. And Natalie.