Sunday, July 19, 2009

Goodbye Frank

I just found out Frank McCourt died. While I didn't expect him to live as long as Methuselah, I didn't expect him to die anytime soon. I expected to meet him someday and have a pint with him. Now I never will.

I've read Angela's Ashes I think it's 20 times. That's not an exaggeration. His book got me through my Dallas days, and there are passages I could probably quote from memory. 

Raising my pint to you, Frank. You wrote one of my two favorite books in the whole wide world. 

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It's sad when a favourite author dies.

Robin B. said...

OH! Frnak McCourt died. I didn't know that.

I know what you mean - he was elderly but at the same time, he seemed ageless.

Stacy said...

Yes, it is, FH. And he did seem ageless, Robin. I watched him in an interview on Charlie Rose and he looked quite young for a guy in his seventies.

I do take a little solace in the fact that his death was somewhat unexpected. He had skin cancer, and while that in itself is not a death sentence, as a result of the cancer he contracted meningitis, complicating everything. Damn. Damn damn damn. I've read all three memoirs that he published, and while Angela's Ashes was my favorite, I enjoyed them all immensely. Really pains me I won't see more work from this fellow.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.