Monday, July 20, 2009

Books vs. Movies

You know, I hear a lot of laments from readers and writers that books are in mortal peril because they're in competition with movies, video games, etc. for the public's time.

But when the publishing, movie, and video game industries work together, don't they help each other? Hollywood helps the publishing industry by making movies about books, and the publishing industry helps Hollywood by providing ideas. (I'm being a bit facetious here, but in a way, it's true.)

Admittedly, I've not thought very deeply on this this morning. One cup of coffee is not enough for me to expound deeply on any subject. Really I just want to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I started reading Inspector Morse books after watching the series on television. I doubt if I'm the only person ever to have done that so I can imagine that a film might also cause someone to read a book.

Bevie said...

I found Lord of the Rings because I was in a play (The Hobbit). I began reading Harry Potter after renting the first movie - just to see what all the fuss was about.

Generally, while I inevitably like the book after seeing the movie, I have not enjoyed the movie after reading the book.

Robin B. said...

Same with me, FH. Morse on TV first - books second. And the shows were so good, and so were the books.

And same with me on Harry Potter, Bevie. My daughters kept after me to read the first one, but I didn't read it until I saw the movie.