1. I'm partially deaf, which makes for humiliating and yet comic moments. I only wish so many of them weren't at my expense. Sigh.
2. I play both piano and double bass. But not at the same time, obviously.
3. I can teach six instruments of the orchestra effectively. Some less so than others, but every lesson adds to my skillz.
4. In two years I'm moving to L.A., most likely permanently. The most exciting thing about this is that I will (hopefully) be able to see a live performance of Gustavo Dudamel conducting. Yay!
5. My current celebrity crush (though I guess he's not a celebrity) is Rahm Emanuel. But you probably knew that.
6. Recently I decided to stop censoring myself so much. I used to be terrified of offending people. I'm not so much anymore. Paradoxically, at the same time I feel I'm getting better at conducting myself with some diplomacy. I think it's just a matter of becoming happier, with the non-censoring part coming out as humor. Offensive humor sometimes, perhaps. But I don't mean any harm. Better than hissy fits any day.
7. I currently have 340 e-mails yet to open in my gmail account.
8. I currently live in Chicago. I don't really want to move, because I really, really love this city. But I'm not tough enough for the winters.
9. When I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Music Composition, I had something like 234 credit hours. I took every class I could get my hands on. I'd do it differently now. I'd take fewer classes and focus on the things I want to do, rather than trying so many different things. I don't regret that, exactly, except that i often ignored the feeling that certain things weren't working.
10. I've been watching 60 MInutes almost every week since I was 10 years old. I was the only kid I knew who had a crush on Ed Bradley. Perhaps I've always been a geek.
11. At 36, I feel both young and old. I've had a hell of an adulthood so far, with plenty of mistakes. But I've gotten to the point where I feel I've "paid" for them and then some. Time to be happy.
12. I still lament not getting to know Marcus better, the guy in my undergraduate English class who was the only guy who ever had the guts to tell me flat out that he was attracted to me. Almost all the others (the ones I didn't chase, that is) got to know me under the guise of "friendship," when they were really interested in sex or a relationship. Naturally, I knew none of this until later, when they were pissed I never picked up on the signals. (What can I say? I'm dense.) For some reason, this whole business of not bothering to say you like someone when you do kind of offends me. I mean, sometimes there are practical reasons for not saying so, but if you're single, and the person you like is single, why wouldn't you ask? Sure, rejection stings, but if you don't ask you'll never know.
13. I often fantasize about living in the country in a huge Victorian house with a husband and some pets and possibly a kid or two, a la Neil Gaiman. (But of course the husband would be someone else.) I want trees, purple mountains, those amber waves of grain. But I don't know if that's realistic, as I often get cravings for good thai food. I wonder how much of the city amenities I'd miss. Not that I need to worry about that, as my current financial situation does not exactly spell O-W-N-E-R-S-H-I-P.
14. I'm online waaaaaaay too much. I really should get off this computer.
15. Since I've started working out, I don't feel sick. I keep it up now because I feel soooo much better on days I exercise. I sleep better, too.
16. I want both to compose and write. It's silly that I have this dichotomous voice in my head telling me I'll never have time for both. Excuse me, but if I get off this freaking computer, I will.
I'm not sure how to tag people, so if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged. You're It.