Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Love It When This Happens

Just found Richard Price's Lush Life for $7 at a used bookstore. Total surprise. Keeping my eyes peeled for Goldberg's Marathon Man and James (or is it John?) Carlos Blake's Friends of Pancho Villa, but no luck so far. May have to order those online.

It's funny how I can go to a bookstore and drop (sometimes) inordinate amounts of money on a book, but cheap books online that add shipping charges somehow fail to "get" me. Must be the lack of instant gratification.

6 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Score! I miss all the great used bookstores in San Francisco and Berkeley CA. Sigh. I have a used bookstore here in rural Maine, but I don't like to read romances that much, you know? So I indulge in the $.01 used books with the $3.99 shipping charges on a fairly regular basis.

Stacy said...

I do order online when I have to, but I HATE waiting. : )

Bevie said...

I remember finding a used bookstore set up in an old movie house. There had to have been tens of thousands of books! I could have spent the entire vacation there, but Spouse was eager to move one. We've returned to that city, but the store (and the movie house) is gone.

I'm with you, Freddie. I don't like waiting for books. (Going to miss the Evil Editor book chat because the library is delaying the arrival of the book.)

Stacy said...

You're welcome to attend the chat, anyway, Bevie. I often attend even when I haven't read the book.

Bevie said...

Is it hard to keep up with the discussion?

Stacy said...

Nope. Often we veer off the topic of the book. We're a little ADHD that way. The only concern is if you're a stickler about spoilers if you plan on reading the book at some point.