Monday, September 5, 2011

Savory Oatmeal

In theory, I like oatmeal. I like it sweet, and for a while I was eating oatmeal sweetened with spices and a banana.

Only I don't crave sweet foods in the morning. I want savory foods, like eggs, cheese, potatoes. That sort of thing. Of course, these foods aren't healthy to eat every single morning, so I usually settle for cereal or maybe some rice.

But today I tried savory oatmeal and I'm pleased to report the results were good. I put a little cheese in the oatmeal and topped it with one sunny side up egg and a little salt. I cribbed the recipe from here (even though I didn't really follow it), but I don't have the "high quality" ingredients the recipe calls for. Just regular grocery store ingredients. Still, I liked the results. Problem solved, I think. Now to try new recipes.

4 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Unfortunately I seem to hanker for sweet things first thing in the morning! So it's coffee and a pastry for me!!

I do like the look of the egg on the oatmeal though!

Take care
x

Whirlochre said...

I love discovering food solutions and breakfast is one of the best times to experiment — as long as it's not Chinese takeaway leftovers or a live horse.

Stacy said...

Kitty, I think my sweet tooth is taken care of by the sweetened cream I have in my coffee every morning.

Yes, Chinese takeaway leftovers never keep, Whirl.

fairyhedgehog said...

If only I liked savoury foods! I could live on sweet foods.